Registered Nurse Services
What is the Scope of a Registered Nurse (RN)?
Our Registered Nurses provide a full range of community nursing and health education services and are happy to collaborate with any other health service providers such as Nurse Practitioners, Family Physicians, wellness practitioners etc.
What can RNs do?
RNs provide health promotion and disease prevention services, recommend some medications, as well as counsel, plan and coordinate care. RNs are also able to treat a variety of conditions. While some conditions may be resolved through nursing treatment, others can be stabilized or improved by RNs, but require other health professionals (i.e. physicians or nurse practitioners) to diagnose and treat the underlying disease.
How can VCHC’s Community RNs help me?
Our RNs are able to:
- Complete nursing assessments including, blood pressure and blood sugar checks, and early screening for chronic diseases
- Provide wound (chronic, acute, and post surgical wounds) and injury care
- Conduct home visits/wellness checks to assess coping, mobility, medication compliance, and nutrition
- Assist you in navigating the healthcare system (e.g. explain tests your doctor has ordered for you and tell what to expect)
- Provide referrals to other community or health services such as physiotherapy, massage, homecare, optometry, hearing tests, pharmacy, testing, or diagnostics, etc.
- Help you develop an individual Health Action Plan to specifically address issues such as arthritis, high blood pressure, diabetes, lung or heart problems, and/or other wellness challenges
Is there anything RNs can’t do?
RNs cannot refill or prescribe medication, make medical diagnosis, make referrals to specialist physicians, or order tests. But we they provide you with guidance.
How can I access RN services?
Call or email us to book an appointment during clinic hours or request a home visit. Email vichealthcoopRN@gmail.com or phone: 250-857-3572
Reminder: Please do not include any personal health details in your message.
RN services are covered for any holder of a BC Services Card. Co-op Membership is not required to access these services.